January 25, 2018
Twice a year I have to do a project wide find and replace, and this involves remembering what
:argsdo is, wait, no, it’s something else, god what is it - then trying to crawl through the evolution of project find-and-replace in vim on StackOverflow until I finally arrive at
This time I have learned it once and for all. The most common work flow is:
:Rg/Ag/Ack <search-term> :cdo %s/match/pattern/ge | update
This will populate all results into a quickfix window, then iterate over each line matched, run the
globally (all matches), and suppress any
errors. It will then pipe an update (
:w) once it has completed.
An improvement over
:cdo is using
:cfdo which acts on the file, not the line, this is beneficial if you are changing multiple matches in the same file.
:Rg/Ag/Ack <search-term> :cfdo %s/match/pattern/ge | update
I highly recommend using ale, but it comes with a caveat if you wish to use it alongside
:cfdo and friends. As discussed in the issue I filed, you cannot have ale populate the quick fix window if you are using
:xdo. The easiest way to make this work is with these settings:
let g:ale_set_loclist = 1 let g:ale_set_quickfix = 0
If you are married to using quick fix, there are two workarounds.
 :cfdo %s/match/replace/ge | noau update
 :cfdo %s/match/replace/ge :wa
 - Disabling autocmd has potential side effects that are esoteric to each individual’s
 - This introduces another “command” that breaks the one-liner wonderfulness. Though, anecdotally, I have noticed this method can execute significantly faster than piping
I cannot understate how amazingly fast this is. Although out of the box it works just fine, you may find the syntactical sugar provided by vim-ripgrep to be worth the install.« Go home